Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS647139
Balcatta Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs Level 3 for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2021.
Balcatta SHS is a school with around 700 student enrolments and is situated in the northern suburbs of Perth. The school is currently undergoing expansion, renovation and refurbishment of the buildings. Our updated buildings incorporating the latest in technology and resources, are planned to be complete March 2021. As an Independent Public School, we make decisions at the local level to ensure all of our students are successful and to better meet the needs of our school community. We offer our students a personalised education and caring environment. Our teachers and support staff know their students and are committed to creating positive and engaging learning experiences where students achieve their full potential.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs, you will assist in the implementation of specialised education intervention programmes, involving a range of delivery methods including online and digital technologies, workbook-based programs and hands-on practical application. Suitable applicants will deliver a range of individual student or small group programmes, following a scheduled timetable. You will support the student to understand and follow behaviour support plans and participate in engagement programs.
Suitable applicants will assist with the teacher or therapist, providing feedback on education and therapy programmes and participating in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals. You will also provide feedback to the parent and carer on student progress under teacher direction and be required to manage classroom resources which may involve updating an inventory list, monitoring stock levels and submitting requisitions to the teacher for approval.
Suitable applicants will ensure the safe and hygienic storage and handling of foodstuffs and food preparation utensils and provide care and supervision of students during in and out of class activities and on school excursions. You will monitor the health requirements of students with disabilities and possess knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents. Suitable applicants manage the arrival and departure of students, including vehicular and bus access. Where necessary, you will support the teacher by assisting students with dressing, bathing, showering and toileting where necessary.
It is highly desirable that applicants have previous ASDAN and Community Access Training. Knowledge of Direct Instruction Reading, Spelling and Comprehension, Protective Behaviours – PIP, and Zones of Regulation will also be advantageous.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in student and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Balcatta Senior High School can be found by visiting balcattashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Cathie Bonner, Associate Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity by telephoning (08) 9345 8200 or emailing email@example.com
During the school holiday period, please contact Cathie Bonner, Associate Principal, on 0434 020 157.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement of up to three (3) pages addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 16 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.