Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS646328
Are you committed and passionate about supporting students?
Armadale Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated Education Assistants – Special Needs (EASN) for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
As a Special Needs Education Assistant, you will use your excellent interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate with teachers and other colleagues to create an inclusive education program that accommodates the needs of students. The successful applicant will use the initiative to support the delivery of planned education programs, using their understanding of differentiation and intervention strategies to assist students in accessing the curriculum. Experience in literacy support and explicit instruction is highly desired.
Suitable applicants will be able to deliver individual and small group programs, which may include the use of digital technologies or physical materials. Under teacher direction, the Education Assistant – Special Needs will make use of innovative and unique strategies that promote inquiry learning, critical thinking, creativity and personal commitment. Experience in supporting the delivery of a differentiated and engaging curriculum will be well regarded. Further, as part of this role, suitable applicants will have the ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Armadale SHS is a unique and dynamic high school nestled at the base of the Darling Ranges situated 40km from Perth. As an Independent Public School, Armadale SHS seeks to aspire, strive and achieve in all areas of performance, student engagement and academic achievement. Students are encouraged to perform to the highest standard across all learning areas and are supported in pastoral care areas by our dedicated Student Engagement & Support (SES) team. The school’s outstanding facilities and dedicated teachers combine to ensure that all students are given access to a wide-range of courses that are delivered to a very high standard.
With our “Aspire” extension pathway in Years 7 to 10, high flying students are able to participate in a tailored and enriched program that extends the standard curriculum, in preparation for University studies. Our Department of Education-endorsed Specialist Programs in Visual Arts and Technologies provide a tailored and highly-stimulating pathway to careers within the creative industries. Combined with our Vocational Education & Training (VET) courses, which provide hands-on access to industry level training in the physical recreation, hospitality, automotive and engineering sectors, graduates from Armadale SHS are well-equipped to have the best start in the workforce or further study.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Armadale Senior High School can be found by visiting www.ashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Daniel Joyce, School Support Officer, by telephoning (08) 9497 6400 or emailing Daniel.Joyce@education.wa.edu.au.
During the school holiday period, please contact Daniel Joyce, School Support Officer, by telephone (08) 9497 6467 or emailing Daniel.Joyce@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 9 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.