Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS644256
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Success Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during prior to the end of Term 2, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements up to the end of Term 2, 2022.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will, under general supervision and guidance, perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. You should be able to apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, job learning or relevant qualification. You should demonstrate a commitment to working collaboratively with your colleagues to meet our school’s vision (see school website).
Suitable applicants will ideally have prior experience working with students who have high behavioural, medical and social needs. Applicants who have a high level of knowledge and experience in working with students with high levels of disabilities will be considered advantageous. Team Teach training is highly desirable as well as applicants with the enthusiasm and skills to lead the implementation of recreational, sporting, therapeutic and social activities.
Success PS is located in the rapidly growing southern suburb of Success, within the City of Cockburn. The school opened in 2009 and current caters for 747 students from Kindergarten to Year 6. The school’s purpose is to unlock potential and empower students to learn and achieve by providing high quality teaching and the best conditions for learning. As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you would need to be able to have the capacity to build strong relationships with staff, parents and students and be committed to ongoing personal growth. The role requires ongoing collaboration and team work so commitment to developing the skills which enable you perform in high performing team is essential. These commitments align with the school Business Plan and Operational Plans and embrace our positive and innovative school culture. You will need to be open, flexible and adaptable with a solutions focussed approach. A commitment to Success STARS, adhering to ethical behaviour and practices, while committing to building capacity to use ICT as a learning tool is also required.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Success PS can be found by visiting www.successprimary.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Sue Criddle, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 6174 2600 or emailing Susan.firstname.lastname@example.org. During the school holidays please phone 0401 915 136.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care, as determined by the Principal
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 9 October 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.