Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS646181
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2020
Governor Stirling School (SHS) is seeking a highly motivated, proactive Gardener — Handyperson to join our friendly team.
In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting our school grounds in a clean and tidy condition. The Gardener - Handyperson will work to provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe, vibrant and clean school environment. They will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handypersons duties using safe work practices and in accordance with the Department's policies and guidelines.
Good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work unsupervised but also as part of a team are a necessary requirement. The successful applicant will ideally also have an excellent working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation. The successful applicant will have a passion for gardening and understand the needs of an active school community.
Governor Stirling SHS, situated on the banks of the Swan River in Woodbridge, is one of the premier schools in Western Australia. Founded in 1959, the school has a rich history of student success and achievement in both the sporting and academic arenas. The new school with state-of-the-art facilities opened in 2013. Our school caters for students of varying abilities offering the Gifted and Talented academic program, full range of academic and Vocational Education Training (VET) programs and Approved Specialist Programs in Engineering, Arts media and AFL Football
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Governor Stirling SHS can be found by visiting www.govo.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For Further Job Related Information
Please contact Frank Cavicchio, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 6274 0300 or emailing Frank.Cavicchio@education.wa.edu.au.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages. Please address selection criteria 2 and 4 by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 22 September 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.