Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS646172
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2020
Governor Stirling School (SHS) is seeking a highly motivated, proactive Senior Gardener — Handyperson to join our friendly team.
As a Senior Gardener - Handyperson you must have a working knowledge of current Occupational Health and Safety policies and provide students and staff with a safe external environment. Experience in turf management on sporting grounds is advantageous. You will also ideally have experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks such as those on irrigation systems. To be successful in this role you will possess knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals in accordance with the Department of Education policies and guidelines. Experience in gardening management in a large Senior High School is desirable.
Governor Stirling SHS, situated on the banks of the Swan River in Woodbridge, is one of the premier schools in Western Australia. Founded in 1959, the school has a rich history of student success and achievement in both the sporting and academic arenas. The new school with state-of-the-art facilities opened in 2013. Our school caters for students of varying abilities offering the Gifted and Talented academic program, full range of academic and Vocational Education Training (VET) programs and Approved Specialist Programs in Engineering, Arts media and AFL Football.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Governor Stirling SHS can be found by visiting www.govo.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Frank Cavicchio, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 6274 0300 or emailing Frank.Cavicchio@education.wa.edu.au.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A comprehensive CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application, click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment;
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 22 September 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.