Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS645890
This is an eight (8) month fixed term, part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2020 with possible eight (8) months extension and/or permanency
Baldivis Secondary College (SC) is seeking a dedicated Laboratory Technician to join our team.
In this role, the Laboratory Technician will manage the science preparation areas, and classroom laboratories to ensure a safe learning environment. You will also liaise with the science staff in providing advice on classroom experiments to ensure that curriculum requirements are met. Other duties include undertaking purchasing, processing and safe handling of chemicals, equipment, materials, resources (including repairs and maintenance), knowledge of Departmental financial guidelines, manage and maintain stocktakes, identifying future purchase requirements of science equipment.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual, who ideally possesses the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as independently, has high standards of communications and interpersonal skills to assist with the efficient operation of the Science Learning Area. They will prepare chemicals, equipment and materials, design and construct teaching aids and collect and care for living organisms for study purposes in compliance with chemical, physical and biological laboratory practices and legislative requirements.
Baldivis SC, located 46km south of Perth, is a relatively new and vibrant learning community and the first public secondary school established in the area. The college opened in 2013 with a single year group of 220 Year 8 students and 32 staff. In the ensuing years our College population had risen to over 1,800 students and nearly 200 staff, making Baldivis SC one of Western Australia's fastest growing and largest secondary schools.
Students and staff are expected to achieve personal excellence in all they do. We continue to explicitly teach, demonstrate and provide opportunities to practise working together and building a harmonious sense of community. Baldivis SC strives to maintain high expectations and standards of and for every member of our school community and in doing so we look to attain our mission of providing every opportunity for our students and staff to reach their full potential and to be their best.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well-developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Baldivis Secondary College can be found by visiting www.baldivissc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Karen Illich, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9523 3600 or emailing Karen.Illich@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Hold a Certificate lll in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 24 September 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.