Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA644319
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021.
Newman Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Program Coordinator – Follow the Dream
The position is ideally suited for an aspirational applicant keen to develop their leadership skills and work as a member of our school Leadership Team. This position particularly suits teachers with a passion for pastoral care, student services, engagement, whole school positive behaviour support and building capacity of others. Persistence and determination are key personal qualities essential for this position, as well as a capacity to build positive, respectful relationships with students, families, the school community and key business and agencies. The position requires a capacity to work strategically and efficiently on an operational level, highly effective organisational skills and developing pro-active long term capacity building strategies.
In collaboration with Student Services, the Program Coordinator supports the students and staff, providing ongoing leadership in the areas of positive behaviour support, attendance and engagement, overseeing case management of complex student needs, monitoring and reporting, school planning, human, physical and financial resource management. The position has a focus on developing social and emotional well-being of students, at a whole school level, and liaising within the school or with key stakeholders to provide small group and individual interventions. Your work will include developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders to ensure students engage in education, employment and training pathways beyond school. A determination to have a flexible and positive approach to this is essential. You will also work as a member of a team with other programs including the primary school programs for Aboriginal students.
The suitable applicant will be self-directed and able to inspire and develop others to embed The Newman Way values of Respect, Responsibility, Care and Compassion. Individuals with a passion for building a positive, proactive school culture with a calm and safe environment are encouraged to consider this position. In addition to developing your case management skills, this position offers the opportunity to build the capacity of others, work as key member of a leadership team, and develop strong links with local business and community to provide opportunities for students. You will be expected to develop school systems and processes, review and refine these.
Newman is a vibrant and welcoming Pilbara town with a wide range of facilities. The resource industry attracts workers from around Australia and across the world, with students coming from diverse cultural backgrounds. We pride ourselves on academic excellence, strong pastoral care and partnerships with the community. As a multicultural school, we acknowledge the Nyiyaparli traditional owner and Martu custodians, and recognise the many cultures that come together at our school. Living in Newman offers the opportunity to explore the stunning Pilbara region.
We have a proven record of both academic and vocational success. Our partnership with Aspire UWA ensures our distance from Perth is no barrier to students interested in tertiary studies. Strong partnerships have resulted in a strong school based traineeship program. The Pilbara Education Partnership with BHP offers opportunities to engage and extend students. VSwans operates a number of engaging programs with a focus on building students’ capacity to contribute to a positive community.
Working at Newman Senior High School attracts a range of subsidies and allowances including the Country Teaching Program (CTP) Allowance and a Locality Allowance. Furthermore, you may l be able to apply for a waiver on indexation on HECS HELP and FEE Help, and if you work full time for 4 years in a 6 year period, from 2023 you can apply to have the HELP debt remitted for education qualification related tuition costs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning practices, particularly relating to Aboriginal students and their communities.
- Extensive skills and experience in developing, implementing and evaluating learning programs and strategies at a school, region or system level.
- Capacity to manage physical and financial resources.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership that builds capacity, deals effectively with change and generates innovative solutions related to achieving educational outcomes.
- Highly developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to conduct research, prepare reports and establish effective working relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve planned outcomes.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Newman SHS can be found by visiting www.newmanshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for recognition of prior service.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Daniel Drummond, Deputy Principal for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Newman, by telephoning 9175 8100 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch;
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 November 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.