Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS625434
Mount Hawthorn Education Support Centre is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 and 2021 school years. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements up to the end of Term 4, 2021.
The successful applicant must hold a Certificate 4 in Education Support and will have the knowledge and experience to work with students with the following:
- A diagnosis of Autism and/or Intellectual disabilities
- Complex communication needs using AAC supports
- Challenging behavioural issues
- Students with anxiety and sensory concerns.
Ideally they will be experienced with skills including the use of Applied Behaviour Analysis, TEACCH, Direct Instruction, Team Teach, Key Word Sign and Alternative Augmentative Communication (AAC). A sound knowledge of ICT is necessary, as computers and iPads are integral across all learning areas. The ability to use Boardmaker would also be well regarded.
Mount Hawthorn ESC is a public school for children with special needs with a strong emphasis on reaching for independence. The purpose of the school is to provide an alternative learning environment for students with special needs and to promote and develop abilities, independence and educational, physical and social skills and knowledge in preparation for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of the future.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Mount Hawthorn ESC can be found by visiting www.mounthawthornesc.com.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Ailsa Moore, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9338 0500 or emailing Ailsa.firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate III in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 23 September 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.