Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS645252
Kapinara Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and enthusiastic Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 and 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements up to the end of Term 4, 2021.
In this role, you will assist teaching staff in the delivery of educational programs and in promoting a welcoming, supportive and productive learning environment. Applicants must be organised and able to communicate effectively and respectfully with students, staff and parents.
We are particularly seeking people who have excellent interpersonal skills; an ability and commitment to work effectively as part of a team; an openness to feedback and commitment to ongoing professional learning; and a capacity and willingness to be flexible when routines and children’s needs change unexpectedly.
Suitable applicants will ideally have prior experience supporting students with mental health, social, behavioural, intellectual and/or medical needs. Possessing a broad range of skills and strategies to meet the needs of these students is also highly desirable.
Kapinara PS is located in the beachside suburb of City Beach. Kapinara PS encourages high levels of student participation in academic, sporting, musical and social programs. The school has a proud reputation in sport and music with additional training available in swimming. A specialist strings program runs from Year 3 to 6, together with an orchestra and choir program.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kapinara PS can be found by visiting www.kapinaraps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Kim Knowles, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9237 7450 or emailing Linda.Wayman@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 24 September 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.