Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA644314
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021.
Are you passionate about developing quality teachers and leading an exemplary regional school where students progress, thrive and achieve? Are you organised and able to communicate clearly, engage with others and build collaborative teams?
If so, we know that this position offers an exciting opportunity to join our leadership team. The position is ideally suited for an aspirational applicant who is able to work as a member of our leadership team, has a strong capacity to develop others, and is flexible and persistent. A capacity to teach in one of the learning areas, and to support teacher development and student progress in all areas, will be an advantage.
The suitable applicant should have an excellent knowledge of the Western Australian Curriculum, WA Certificate of Education (WACE) and proven ability to teach across Years 7 to 12 including ATAR, General and Certificate courses. The selected applicant will promote active learning and provide engaging learning activities which facilitate students at all levels making at least a year’s progress every year. The school’s improvement journey includes involvement in the Fogarty EDvance program. Successful applicants will be expected to actively participate in this journey. The capacity to be a humble leader inspired by moral purpose, and being driven to ensure evidence-based practice is at the core of your work will be well regarded. . Applicants will be improvement focused, participate in ongoing professional learning opportunities and continually reflect on their own teaching and leadership practice to enhance their team, student engagement and achievement outcomes. While the position initially focuses on the learning areas of Health and Physical Education, Technologies and The Arts, by negotiation there may be changes to this in the future as the school’s needs change.
Newman is a vibrant and welcoming Pilbara town with a wide range of facilities. The resource industry attracts workers from around Australia and across the world, with students coming from diverse cultural backgrounds. We pride ourselves on academic excellence, strong pastoral care and partnerships with the community. As a multicultural school, we acknowledge the Nyiyaparli traditional owners and Martu custodians, and recognise the many cultures that come together at our school. Living in Newman offers the opportunity to explore the stunning Pilbara region.
We have a proven record of both academic and vocational success. Our partnership with Aspire UWA ensures our distance from Perth is no barrier to students interested in tertiary studies. Strong partnerships have resulted in a strong school based traineeship program. The Pilbara Education Partnership with BHP offers opportunities to engage and extend students.
Working at Newman Senior High School attracts a range of subsidies and allowances including the Country Teaching Program (CTP) Allowance and a Locality Allowance. Furthermore, you will be able to apply for a waiver on indexation on HECS HELP and FEE Help, and if you work full time for 4 years in a 6 year period, from 2023 you can apply to have the HELP debt remitted for education qualification related tuition costs.
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact the Principal, Carolyn J Cook, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0427 061 657.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Newman SHS can be found by visiting www.newmanshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Daniel Drummond, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9175 8100 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch;
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 November 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.