Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS635291
This is a permanent part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2020.
Gibbs Street Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Gardener - Handyperson to join our team. The successful applicant will be expected to commence in Term 3.
The Gardener - Handyperson will provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. In this role you will be responsible for maintaining the presentation of the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as required, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
To be successful in this role you will have experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management, experience in minor servicing of gardening equipment, perform minor repairs and maintenance tasks and safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
Gibbs Street PS is located in East Cannington, a south eastern suburb approximately 13 kilometres from Perth with approximately 500 students from diverse cultural backgrounds, from Kindergarten to Year 6. The school is set in spacious grounds and is easily accessible by public transport. Our facilities include, 20 classes surrounded by generous playground areas shaded by trees, patios, verandas, playground equipment, undercover assembly area, two basketball courts, cricket nets, tennis court and; football oval and soccer field. All buildings are air-conditioned.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Gibbs Street PS please visit www.gibbsstps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information
Please contact Sharmila Shetty, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9458 6899 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
You need to provide a detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
In addition to your application form you will need to provide your CV and a cover letter/statement of no more than one (1) page. Please provide one example from your past experience that best shows your knowledge, skills and abilities in maintaining a large garden area. Include the following:
- Steps you took in planning and completing the process.
- Machinery used
- Action taken to maintain your safety and safety of others
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the application questions and attach your documents.
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 3.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 6 August 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.