Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS636275
This is a three (3) month fixed term, part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2020 with possible extension (12 months) and/or permanency.
Ocean Road Primary School (PS) are seeking to appoint an experienced, highly dedicated and friendly Education Assistant - Special Needs - Lead to join their team.
The Education Assistant (Special Needs Lead) (EASNL) assists teachers in delivering planned education programs. The EASNL works under limited guidance and can be expected to participate within a team situation, offering advice and expertise in their relevant area.
Education outcomes are determined by the teacher, or other professional, with the EASNL performing tasks which require discretion in problem solving, decision making and choosing methods and processes to achieve outcomes. Performance of these tasks may require activities within or outside the school that result in supervision of students without the presence of a teacher. The EASNL applies techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices required through previous experience as an Education Assistant (Special Needs) and exercises appropriate discretion and confidentiality.
The EASNL leads, mentors, coaches and models good practice for other Education Assistants (Special Needs). The successful applicant will assist in planning and delivering the induction and training of other Education Assistants (Special Needs). The EASNL will be expected to provide support and advice to teachers on the management program of students at risk and contribute to the design and implementation of documented plans in consultation with teachers and parents/carers under supervision of the School Psychologist or relevant professional. You will be required to provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
Applicants must hold a Cert IV in Education Support and have a minimum of two year’s experience in an Education Assistant (Special Needs) role to be considered for this position.
At Ocean Road PS we provide a safe, caring and inclusive learning environment that encourages all to fulfil their potential and contribute positively to society. We are committed to providing dynamic educational programs in order to meet the diverse needs of our students. Our core values of Kindness, Resilience, Responsibility and Respect and our commitment to “Putting Children First” underpin everything that we do.
Our students, parents and staff are focused on collaborating for success; building and maintaining quality relationships; providing support to each other and ensuring everyone counts. Our shared commitment to these focus areas ensures that we collectively provide the best possible learning opportunities for all children in our community.
We have a strong partnership with our community. Our P & C and School Board provide outstanding support to our school program and parents are strongly encouraged to become actively involved in their children’s education.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of the delivery of education programs and/or behaviour management plans; and ability to identify problems and assist teachers and other Education Assistants in the development of strategies and solutions.
- Well developed oral communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to lead, mentor, coach, induct and train other Education Assistants and professional teams, including providing advice and evaluating education programs.
- Well developed written communication skills, including report writing, and the ability to coordinate, collect and present student data at a whole school community level in a meaningful way.
- Well developed organisational skills, including the ability to coordinate staff rosters and relief to assist in the delivery of effective education programs.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Ocean Road PS can be found by visiting www.oceanroadps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Julie Walkden, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 9582 2311 or emailing Julie.Walkden2@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 6 August 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.