Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS635669
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2020
Orelia Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint an Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO) to join their friendly team.
The successful applicant should be organised, friendly, caring and professionally presented. You will need to be able to display a commitment to building positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the wider community. You will be expected to work collaboratively as part of a team and you will be committed to the continual development of your skills.
The successful applicant will assist teachers in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. They will assist students to access the educational program and have an increased understanding of the multi-cultural nature of the learning environment. They will act as liaison between the community and school to develop an educational program relevant to both educational and cultural needs, and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those at risk, through mentoring, pastoral care and home visits to encourage attendance, participation and achievement at school.
We are a Level 5 government primary school with over 350 students, located south of Fremantle. Our school strives to meet the needs and interests of all students, and reflect the values and aspirations of our school community; with pastoral care and respect for all members of our school community being major foci. Our purpose is to value add to ensure all students leave Orelia PS well prepared for their secondary schooling, and have opportunities to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence that they need, to achieve their individual potential and play an active part in civic and economic life.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Orelia Primary School can be found by visiting www.oreliaps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Richard Mader, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 6174 1200 or emailing Richard.Mader@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
An applicant may provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent through the completion of a Verification of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage form, attached. (Applicants currently employed as AIEOs are excluded.)
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 29 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.