Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS639322
This is a six (6) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 3, 2020
Are you looking for a challenge and rewarding place to work?
Darling Range Sports College is seeking to appoint a hard-working and dedicated Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO) to join their team.
As the AIEO, you will provide support and effective assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, their parents/guardians, teachers, the school and the community through the knowledge, understanding and sharing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, language and culture. Part of the role of the successful applicant will be to act as a liaison between the community and the school in order to develop an education program that is relevant to both educational and cultural needs.
The AIEO assists and supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those at risk, through mentoring and pastoral care to ensure their participation and achievement in the school environment.
Darling Range Sports College is the first and only sports school in Western Australia. Our school provides sporting programs in swimming, football (soccer), netball, Australian Rules football, baseball, basketball and athletics. Complementing our sports programs are extensive opportunities to participate in Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), the Academic Challenge and Enrichment Program ‘ACES’, the Music Program, the Vocational Educational and Training Program and the Arts Program. The College’s specialist sports programs are highly successful with a significant public image.
Darling Range Sports College is a Positive Behaviour School that encourages resilient and independent students. Staff are fully committed to supporting students in their sporting, academic and career ambitions by maintaining the highest standards of teaching and learning.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Darling Range Sports College can be found by visiting darlingrangesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Owen Martin, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 9453 0100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the vacation period please contact Owen Martin, Principal, on 0436 913 885.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
An applicant may provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent through the completion of a Verification of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage form, attached. (Applicants currently employed as AIEOs are excluded.)
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 3 August 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.