Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS636530
This is a five (5) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 3, 2020 with possible extension and/or permanency
Balcatta Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated Laboratory Technician to join our friendly team.
In this role the Laboratory Technician will manage the science preparation areas and classroom laboratories to ensure a safe learning environment and to liaise with the Science staff in providing advice on classroom experiments to ensure that curriculum requirements are met, undertake purchasing, processing and safe handling of chemicals, equipment, materials, resources, (including repairs and maintenance), knowledge of Departmental financial guidelines, manage and maintain stocktakes, identifying future purchase requirements of science equipment.
The successful applicant will be highly motivated and possess the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as independently, high standard communications and interpersonal skills to assist with the efficient operation of the Science Learning Area. They will prepare chemicals, equipment and materials, design and construct teaching aids and collect and care for living organisms for study purposes in compliance with chemical, physical and biological laboratory practices and legislative requirements.
Balcatta Senior High School is situated in the northern suburbs of Perth and is currently undergoing expansion, renovation and refurbishment of the buildings. Our updated buildings incorporating the latest in technology and resources are planned to be complete March 2021. As an Independent Public School, we make decisions at the local level to ensure all our students are successful and to better meet the needs of our school community. We offer our students a personalised education and caring environment. Our teachers and support staff know their students and are committed to creating positive, engaging learning experience where students achieve their full potential.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well-developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Balcatta Senior High School can be found by visiting balcattashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Sharon Beccarelli, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9345 8227 or emailing Sharon.Beccarelli@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period (6 July - 17 July 2020) please contact Sharon Beccarelli on 0417 980 699
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2)work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Hold a Certificate lll in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 24 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.