Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS634814
This is a permanent, full-time position commencing Term 3, 2020
Are you looking for an exciting change?
Karratha Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a hardworking and dedicated Student Support Officer to join our friendly and supportive team.
The successful applicant will Assist in the coordination of the Student Support Program and Assist in developing and introducing systems and intervention strategies which provide a responsive and effective support service for students, family members and staff. You will also provide support and advice to teachers on strategies for supporting students and facilitates group work processes. This role will require you to actively participate in multi-disciplinary team meetings and case conferences within the college/school and with other agencies as appropriate, including the provision of information and consultancy advice as required.
The successful applicant will work closely with the Student Services team to provide support and advice to teachers on strategies for supporting students at educational risk and facilitate group work processes. The Student Support Officer will need to demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills and possess the ability to develop supportive links between the student, the family, the school and other appropriate agencies in the community
Our school has a population of approximately 1200 students and is situated on a state of the art, dynamic and revolutionary campus which was completed in 2013. Students at Karratha SHS come from all contributory primary schools as well as those from across Australia. Many families move to Karratha and surrounding townships such as Dampier, Point Samson, Roebourne and Wickham to work in the diverse mining, tourism and retail industries in the region.
The school motto “Towards Tomorrow” ensures that the school’s curriculum focuses on preparing all students for the future. The motto embraces the aim of nurturing responsible and caring individuals in order that they are fully prepared for success in a rapidly changing world.
Situated on the Pilbara coast, Karratha is a fantastic place to live. Our culturally diverse, vibrant community offers a wide range of sporting and recreational activities. We boast world class sporting facilities, a lively café, bar and restaurant scene and a brand new arts precinct. We are the gate-way to the Dampier Archipelago and various National Parks with camping and fishing adventures abound. Karratha is the sea change you have been looking for
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships.
- Effective planning and organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing prioritises within timelines.
- Good research, conceptual and analytical skills, including the ability to identify problems and provide solutions.
- Skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of students experiencing difficulties.
- Knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations and services.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Karratha Senior High School can be found by visiting www.karrathashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Tracey Bell, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 9187 8000 or emailing Tracey.Bell@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 31 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.