Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS636939
Burbridge School is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during from Term 4, 2020 school year and up to the end of the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within Term 4, 2020, up to the end of the 2021 school year.
Suitable applicants will have a high level of interpersonal skills to enable them to work collaboratively with staff members to meet the needs of students with special needs. They will ideally possess the knowledge and experience of working with students with a range of disabilities and learning difficulties and the ability to support student growth, both academically and socially, within the classroom setting. Suitable applicants will ideally have the knowledge of effective strategies to support students, combined with the ability to be highly organised and use initiative.
Suitable applicants will ideally have sound technology skills, good behaviour management skills and understanding/experience with special needs students in a highly specialised and complex setting.
Suitable applicants will be able to demonstrate the delivery of planned education and therapy programs and have the capacity to contribute to, implement and evaluate a wide range of strategies as part of a student’s Individual Education Plan. Knowledge and experience of correct Manual handling procedures and evidence and understanding of Augmentative and Alternative communication will be highly regarded.
At Burbridge School, our specialist team of education support teachers and education assistants provide diverse, innovative and specifically tailored learning programs for students in Kindergarten to Year 12 with special needs. Situated 15 km north of Perth in Koondoola, the school shares a site with the Koondoola Primary School. We also have a satellite class in the primary school which provides opportunities for students of both schools to engage in inclusive learning programs.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Burbridge School can be found by visiting www.burbridgeschool.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Natalie Campbell, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9342 1633 or emailing Natalie.Campbell3@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period (6 July - 17 July 2020) please contact the school on 0421 712 624.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for three (3) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 27 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.