Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS636738
Are you passionate about supporting students with special needs to achieve their goals?
Merriwa Education Support Centre (ESC) is seeking to establish a pool of skilled, dedicated, reliable and enthusiastic Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 and 2021 school years. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements up to the end of Term 4, 2021.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you would, under limited supervision, perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. You will need to assist students with training in the acquisition of self-management skills and provide information to parents on all relevant school procedures and policies. You will apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, on the job learning or relevant qualifications. Suitable applicants will also be involved in maintaining records regarding student achievement and the implementation of behaviour management plans.
Suitable applicants will demonstrate the capacity to assist teachers in the provision of high quality individualised student learning programs. It would be preferable for applicants to have experience in working with students with special needs in the Education Support Centre context, as well as experience in working with children with Autism, Intellectual Disability, Physical Disability and challenging behavioural issues. Familiarity in effectively using Discrete Trial Training, TEACCH approaches and various aided language/communication supports would be an asset to supplement our priority learning areas and learning readiness programs.
We are seeking applicants who will be a positive team member and will enjoy working in a collaborative environment. Suitable applicants will benefit from our supportive and inclusive working atmosphere.
Merriwa ESC is located on the same campus as Merriwa Primary School, in the north metropolitan suburb of Merriwa. It is a Centre with specialist facilities and staff to accommodate the requirements of students with diverse needs.
The staff are trained in a range of Special Educational Needs programs and work collaboratively with parents and the wider community, to advocate the rights of all students and to provide support in their future direction.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Further information about Merriwa Education Support Centre can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Karen Macri, Principal, by telephoning 6206 2330 or emailing Karen.Macri@education.wa.edu.au.
During the vacation period, job related queries will need to be via email only.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 24 July 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.