Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS636393
This is a permanent part-time (0.3FTE) position commencing in Term 3, 2020.
Harvey Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a highly motivated and organised individual to the role of Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO) to join their team.
The AIEO assists teachers in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment and assists students to access the educational program and have an increased understanding of the multicultural nature of the learning environment. The successful applicant acts as a liaison between the community and school to develop an educational program relevant to both educational and cultural needs and supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those at risk, through mentoring and pastoral care to encourage participation and achievement at school.
By virtue of its size, Harvey SHS is able to cater for all students as individuals. The commitment of staff and local community involvement means that there is a strong connection between students, parents/caregivers and staff, resulting in all students being supported to achieve their potential. There is strong support from the community in enabling enriched educational opportunities for students.
As well as striving for excellence in all learning areas, students are encouraged to develop those skills, attitudes and values that will enable them to become lifelong learners who are able to adapt to their environment and contribute positively to their community. Harvey SHS is a school responsive to the needs of its clientele and is always looking for better ways to meet them.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Harvey SHS can be found by visiting Schools Online or by visiting our website www.harveyshs.wa.edu.au.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Kelly Servaas, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Harvey by telephoning (08) 9782 3800 or emailing email@example.com.
(For contact over the school holidays please phone 0417 847 998).
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement, no more than four (4) pages, addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV, no more than four (4) pages, outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
An applicant may provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent through the completion of a Verification of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage form, attached. (Applicants currently employed as AIEOs are excluded.)
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-tostudent ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of
- commencement; complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 30 July 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.