Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS635515
Do you have what it takes to improve the learning outcomes of students with learning difficulties?
Carine Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of enthusiastic and dedicated Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2021.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. Education Assistants – Special Needs are required to assist teachers in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations.
Our Special Needs Education Assistants will, when required, provide feedback on education and therapy programs, and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education. They will assist the teacher or therapist to understand when there is communication difficulty between them and a student. Furthermore, having experience in delivering direct instruction, or the willingness to learn and develop this skill, would be highly desirable.
Carine SHS represents the very best that government schools have to offer and is a proud independent public school as evidenced by winning the WA Secondary School of the Year in 2017. The school has a very high student retention rate, an experienced staff and an active School Council, made up of students, parents, staff and community members. The school has achieved an enviable reputation for strong academic achievement and pastoral care.
Carine SHS is a co-educational secondary school, located in the North West suburbs of Perth close to the ocean and approximately 15 kilometres from the city centre. The school was established in 1973, reaching senior high school status three years later. Since that time, the school has achieved an enviable reputation for strong academic achievement and firm discipline.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Carine SHS can be found by visiting www.carinehs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Phillip Borger, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9243 9100 or emailing Phillip.Borger@education.wa.edu.au.
During the vacation period please contact Phillip Borger, Manager Corporate Services, on 0422 973 853.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 27 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.