Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS634343
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2020
Are you looking for an exciting challenge?
As a Science Specialist School, the Laboratory Technician at Newton Moore Senior High School plays an important role.
We are seeking a highly motivated, proactive and collaborative Laboratory Technician to join our team in delivering an extraordinary science program. As the successful applicant you will be engaged under the Public Service Award and generally be required to work School Vacation periods. Self-motivation, initiative and the ability to work unsupervised are essential.
You will be responsible for preparing chemicals, equipment and materials, designing and constructing teaching aids and collecting and caring for living organisms, including assisting in maintaining an Aquaculture and Environmental Centre and an Engineering Laboratory. Your excellent organisational skills will ensure that preparation areas and laboratories are safe and equipment is well maintained and productive learning environments are created for staff and students.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate care, be invested in the school and the community and be reflective of themselves and their practice. Additionally, they will have strong communication skills and possess the ability to work collaboratively with others to assist with the efficient operation of the Science Department.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to address the context of the school, including our school priorities in their application.
Newton Moore SHS is an Independent Public School (IPS) located in Bunbury, a coastal city 175kms south of Perth. We have a strong commitment to offering innovative and best practice educational programs. The school delivers two Department of Education Approved Specialist Academic Programs: Science Horizons and Engineering Specialist. Newton Moore SHS is also Teacher Development School (TDS) for secondary science and a Lead Language School and supports with training and assisting staff across the South West. The school is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) for Certificate II in Aquaculture and Certificate II in Business.
Newton Moore SHS also provides enrichment through the following programs: Moore Academy of Sport and Health (MASH), Follow the Dream, Clontarf Football Academy, Girls Academy and CALM Cadets. As an independent public school, Newton Moore Senior High School provides students with a personalised, globally aware educational experience. The school, at the heart of South Bunbury, has a strong sense of community and celebrates the strengths of students through a variety of innovative programs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well-developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Newton Moore Senior High School can be found by visiting www.newtonmooreshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Denise Harrison, HR Officer, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Newton Moore, by telephoning (08) 9722 2463 or emailing Denise.Harrison2@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, (1, 2 and 5 above) in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 15 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.