Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS634263
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2020
Are you looking for an exciting change?
North Albany Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a hardworking and dedicated Laboratory Technician to join our friendly team.
The successful applicant will provide support and advice to the Head of Learning Area, teaching staff and Laboratory Technicians Level 1 (if present) to ensure that curriculum requirements are met. You will be required to provide advice on suitable experiments, and/or demonstrations to support teaching and curriculum outcomes for science classes.
This role will require you to organise preparation areas and classroom laboratories and undertake general housekeeping of chemicals, equipment (including repairs and maintenance) and other resources. The successful applicant will manage laboratory stocks, including ordering of supplies and equipment, liaison with suppliers, and completion of annual stock-takes, complying with Departmental guidelines. You will also provide advice on safe use, documentation, storage, handling, maintenance and disposal of science equipment, chemicals and biological materials.
North Albany Senior High School is an independent public school located in Albany, a coastal city in the South West region of Western Australia. Known locally as NASHS we are a comprehensive school providing secondary education for students in Year 7 to Year 12. NASHS has an enviable reputation as a caring and supportive school.
Our vision: Is to provide opportunities for students to achieve personal excellence so they can participate actively in a changing world. Guided by our school motto of 'Care and Diligence' and our school ethos of 'Students First and Foremost', NASHS staff provide a wraparound service to support our students through their adolescent years. We provide rich learning experiences that can lead to academic success.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well-developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about North Albany Senior High School can be found by visiting www.nashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Keely George, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in North Albany, by telephoning (08) 9892 0604 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A maximum five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- hold a Certificate lll in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 17 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS