Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS625141
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2020
Do you have a green thumb?
Lakeland Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a hardworking and dedicated Senior Gardener – Handyperson to join our friendly and supportive team.
As a Senior Gardener - Handyperson you must have a working knowledge of current Occupational Health and Safety policies and provide students and staff with a safe external environment. Experience in turf management on sporting grounds is advantageous. You will also ideally have experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks such as those on irrigation systems. To be successful in this role you will possess knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals in accordance with the Department of Education policies and guidelines.
The successful applicant will be enthusiastic, self-motivated and work well unsupervised as well as part of a team and possess a range of key characteristics and qualities. These include excellent communication skills, management skills, problem solving abilities, basic mathematic, analytical skills, mechanical skills and the knowledge of machinery.
Lakeland SHS is a thriving school community. Extracurricular programs are in abundance and after school homework classes are well attended. Staff are highly committed and seek to develop friendly and supportive working relationships with students. A major school goal is to become the school of choice for the majority of youth living in the district. In working towards this goal the school has excelled in many areas, and developed programs that engender success. Lakeland SHS provides a calm and friendly atmosphere where students are encouraged to succeed and take pride in what they achieve. The school has two very successful Specialist Programs in Music Technology and Touch Football.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Lakeland Senior High School please visit www.lakelandshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Angelique Choo, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 0412 046 727 or emailing Angelique.Choo@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the application questions and attach your documents.
To submit your application, you will need:
- A three (3) page cover letter/statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school
- A comprehensive CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
- Email your documents to Angelique.Choo@education.wa.edu.au. You must do this before the closing date below.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment • obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 9 July 2020
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED