Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS635742
This is a permanent part-time (0.39FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2020
Wandina Primary School is seeking to appoint a highly dedicated and motivated individual to join their team as an Education Assistant – Special Needs.
Education Assistant - Special Needs are responsible for assisting teachers with preparing resources and programs that meet the learning needs of students with disabilities and to encourage these students to reach their Individual Education Plan goals. They also should be able to provide effective feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of student’s individual goals in special education. As part of their role they are also required to have an ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Suitable applicants should ideally be flexible, team orientated, enthusiastic and excellent communicators with an understanding of behaviour management practices with the capacity to demonstrate initiative across a variety of settings. It would be considered advantageous for applicants to have prior experience working with students with special needs and skills relating to good behaviour management are highly desirable.
Our motto 'Inspiring Excellence Together' supports the positive, caring and safe learning environment we provide for our students at Wandina Primary School, where we work together to ensure student wellbeing comes first
Our dedicated staff provide opportunities for students to develop social skills and academic goals through learning programs where students are challenged as well as supported. These programs include Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) learning that will prepare them for them for life in the future. The school is equipped with the latest Technology including interactive touch screens, iPads and laptops. A Bring your own device program where iPads and digital technologies are used to enhance student learning across the curriculum is well supported by students and families.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Wandina Primary School can be found by visiting www.wandinaprimaryschool.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Anita Fitzsimons, Manager Corporate Services for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Wandina, by telephoning 9923 4200 or 0413 024 366 during school holidays or emailing Anita.Fitzsimons@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 24 July 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS