Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS634614
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2020
Bayswater Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic individual for the role of Education Assistant – Special Needs to join our friendly team.
The successful applicant will ideally have prior experience working with students who have behavioural, medical, intellectual and social needs.
In this role, the successful applicant will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned educational programs and in promoting a supportive learning environment. Our staff work under general supervision, and autonomously, and are required to contribute advice and expertise, actively collaborating with colleagues to support student achievement. We require the successful applicant to have a broad range of skills and strategies to meet the needs of learners with disabilities as well as a demonstrated commitment towards improving student learning through ongoing reflective practice and engagement in professional learning.
Bayswater PS is located in the North Metropolitan Education Region some 7 kilometres from the central CBD. The location in the City of Bayswater is only two streets from the railway station.
The school, established in 1894, was known as Bayswater State School with Miss Mary Bell as the first teaching Principal. Since that time the school has developed considerably with attractive grounds and an oval. The school's crest is the 100-year-old locomotive bell with the motto, 'Ringing True'.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Bayswater Primary School can be found by visiting www.bayswaterps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Marise Fitzmaurice, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9462 6600 or emailing Marise.Fitzmaurice@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period (6 July - 17 July 2020) please contact Marise Fitzmaurice on 0428 681 123.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students are required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or equivalent), consistent with the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care, as determined by the Principal.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 10 July 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.