Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS632110
Do you want to make a positive difference?
Harvey Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2021. Initially we have a 0.4FTE position available for Semester Two 2020 however appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2021.
Suitable applicants will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned education programs and in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment. You will work under general supervision or autonomously and are required to contribute advice and expertise, collaborating with all involved to support student achievement. A commitment to enhancing students’ learning opportunities through ongoing reflective classroom practice would be highly desirable, as would be a commitment to plan and engage in professional learning opportunities which includes collaboration with colleagues. You will show a willingness to contribute to and maintain a team environment and will model our Moral Purpose “all our actions and behaviours focus on student achievement, progress and success.” Suitable applicants will also possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
By virtue of its size, Harvey SHS is able to cater for all students as individuals. The commitment of staff and local community involvement means that there is a strong connection between students, parents/caregivers and staff, resulting in all students being supported to achieve their potential. There is strong support from the community in enabling enriched educational opportunities for students. Amongst other programs, Harvey SHS offers specialised engagement programs providing alternative learning environments for students with the focus on relationship building, employability skills, self-development and life skills.
As well as striving for excellence in all learning areas, students are encouraged to develop those skills, attitudes and values that will enable them to become lifelong learners who are able to adapt to their environment and contribute positively to their community. Harvey SHS is a school responsive to the needs of its clientele and is always looking for better ways to meet them.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Harvey SHS can be found by visiting www.harveyshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Kelly Servaas, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Harvey, by telephoning (08) 9782 3800 or emailing Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A maximum of four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 4 June 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.