Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS625356
Do you want to make a positive difference?
Geraldton Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2021.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, you will support the Department’s main objective of teaching and learning of students through assisting the teacher in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. You will provide feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
The suitable applicants will ensure classroom and school community level support is provided to ensure the learning environment is inclusive and relevant, appropriately resourced and maintained, with the health and safety of students a high priority. To be successful in this role, you will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate with staff and external agencies to create supportive and inclusive learning environments.
In collaboration with Teachers, Education Assistants will implement highly personalised learning plans to facilitate access to age-appropriate curriculum. Under limited direction, Education Assistants will apply evidence-based individualised programs that improve academic engagement, organisational skills, social thinking, peer relationships and self-regulation skills.
Geraldton Senior High School caters for students in Years 7,8, 10, 11 and 12. We will further expand in 2021 (Year 9) enabling young people to complete their entire secondary education at our school.
Our belief is that every child is unique with experience, learning styles and goals. From this we provide a broad comprehensive education with pathways leading to attainment of an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualifications or future employment.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Geraldton Senior High School can be found by visiting www.geraldtonshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online or by downloading the relevant attachment below.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Cameron Todd, Deputy Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Geraldton, by telephoning (08) 9965 8400 or emailing Cameron.email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check. and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 6 April 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.