Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SSS625158
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2020
Menzies Community School (CS) is seeking an energetic and dedicated Gardener to make a valuable addition to their friendly team.
As Gardener, you will be reliable and motivated with a passion for the outdoors and a desire to make a difference to your local community. You will demonstrate an ability to work with team members to create and maintain a safe, enjoyable outdoor environment for staff, students and the community.
The successful applicant will be responsible for maintaining the presentation of the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. You will also have the ability to perform minor repairs and maintenance, as well as other Gardener duties as required.
Menzies CS caters for students from Kindergarten to Year 12. Approximately 120 people live in Menzies and in recent times the school's student population fluctuates between 35 and 40 students with students travelling up to 53 kilometres from Morapoi and Kookynie by bus each day. The town of Menzies is situated approximately 130 kilometres north of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and 110 kilometres south of Leonora, serving a mining, pastoral and local Aboriginal community. It is also a popular tourist destination with nearby Lake Ballard attracting international visitors.
Our school offers an early childhood program with pre-kindergarten enrolment available to Aboriginal children and incorporates an early childhood/family support centre that is actively supported by the community. For many years, staff at Menzies CS have used a variety of innovative programs and applied a best practice approach to improve overall school performance. We believe that it is important to work collaboratively with families in order to improve their capacity to meet the needs of their children.
At Menzies CS, we use an integrated multi-agency approach to assist families and students, with a strong focus on prevention, assessment and intervention to achieve targeted outcomes for students. We believe that a focus on early childhood development will improve outcomes for students as they move through school and transition from secondary school into meaningful training and employment opportunities, a key priority for our community.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Menzies CS can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Janet Currie, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Menzies, by telephoning (08) 9092 0359 or emailing Janet.Currie@education.wa.edu.au.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Simply select from one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You will be asked to complete a series of questions which will become your online application. It is recommended you allow enough time to complete this process. Further instructions are available on the attached ‘How to Apply’ document.
- Visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8.30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 3.30pm (WST) on Friday, 3rd April 2020.
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED