Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS625198
This is a permanent part-time (0.2FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2020
West Northam Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint a highly dedicated and motivated Special Needs Education Assistant to join our friendly team.
Our purpose at West Northam Primary School is for our students aspire to be their best. We equip our students with the skills and ability to persevere and achieve success. We foster a sense of belonging and teach our students to care and contribute.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, under teacher direction, you will assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. The successful applicant should have the following skills and attributes necessary for working at West Northam Primary School which include experience dealing with very challenging behaviour, plus an understanding and experience of the 123 Magic and Emotional Coaching program which is used across the school to manage behaviour. Experience working with individuals or small groups of students to deliver an educational plan, assess the students' understanding and achievement of the lesson goals, and report student achievement and progress back to the classroom teacher. Ability to use initiative and work independently to assist the classroom teacher in maintaining order, assisting students with their learning and ensuring lesson resources are ready and available for lessons. Experience in assisting students with their social development through the use of Behaviour Management Plans, Social Stories and coaching of how to demonstrate appropriate social skills. A good understanding of a range of sports and the ability to lead and engage in sporting activities with senior students to deliver a physical education program designed for students with special needs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- The ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- The ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about West Northam Primary School can be found by visiting www.westnortham.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Cheryl Prater, Principal for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Northam, by telephoning (08) 9621 5600 or emailing Cheryl.Prater@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 3 April 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.