Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS624544
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2020
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Swan View Senior High School (SHS) is currently seeking a charismatic and dedicated Engagement Officer to join their dynamic Student Services Team to work closely with our Year 11 and Year 12 students.
The Engagement Officer will collaborate with school staff, families, external agencies and the community to identify students at risk of disengaging from their educational pathway. The key objectives for the Engagement Officer will be to assist the Student Services Manager with the development and implementation of a range of proactive strategies at the school level to support disengaged Year 11 and Year 12 students at educational risk.
The successful applicant will have experience working with disengaged youth, alternative educational pathways, local community youth organisations and supporting at-risk young people in gaining access to alternative education and/or employment pathways. A working knowledge of relevant State Government Departments including, but not limited to, Department of Child Protection and Family Services, Education and Youth Justice would be an advantage.
Swan View SHS is located in the foothills of Perth close to John Forrest National Park. It was opened in 1977 on an 11.6-hectare site. The school draws students from areas of the Swan Valley, Swan view, Stratton, Middle Swan, Bellevue, Koongamia, Midvale and also attracts a number of students from the hills suburbs of Greenmount, Glen Forrest and Helena valley. This provides the school with a diverse and capable student population with a powerful sense of community. The school is inclusive with strong links to local Aboriginal community and culture.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Considerable experience in working with individuals or small groups of disengaged students to implement educational pathways.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills.
- Considerable knowledge of issues related to education within a local community
- Sound research and problem solving skills including the ability to identify appropriate solutions
- Sound interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Swan View Senior High School can be found by visiting www.svshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Bronwyn Jacobson, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9294 0100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- No more than a four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 6 April 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.