Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS624963
This is a permanent part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2020
Are you a passionate Education Assistant looking to improve the lives of students with Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Baldivis Secondary College (SC) is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs – Autism Spectrum Disorder - to join their team.
The successful applicant will support a Specialist Learning Program for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and have considerable understanding of ASD, combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with Teachers and other Education Assistants.
The successful applicant will support Teachers to implement evidence-based practice and pedagogy to meet the needs of students with ASD without a diagnosed intellectual disability in the program, as well as assist Teachers in mainstream classes.
In collaboration with Teachers, Education Assistants will implement highly personalised learning plans to facilitate access to age-appropriate curriculum. Under limited direction, Education Assistants will apply evidence-based individualised programs that improve academic engagement, organisational skills, social thinking, peer relationships and self-regulation skills.
Baldivis SC, located 46km south of Perth, is a relatively new and vibrant learning community and the first public secondary school established in the area. The college opened in 2013 with a single year group of 220 Year 8 students and 32 staff. In the ensuing years our College population had risen to over 1,700 students and nearly 200 staff, making Baldivis SC one of Western Australia's fastest growing and largest secondary schools.
Students and staff are expected to achieve personal excellence in all they do. We continue to explicitly teach, demonstrate and provide opportunities to practise working together and building a harmonious sense of community. Baldivis SC strives to maintain high expectations and standards of and for every member of our school community and in doing so we look to attain our mission of providing every opportunity for our students and staff to reach their full potential and to be their best.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Baldivis Secondary College can be found by visiting www.baldivissc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Ayesha Korljan, Human Resource Officer, by telephoning (08) 9523 3600 or emailing Ayesha.Korljan@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2)work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 March 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.