Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS621884
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Shenton College is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2021. Placements can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2021.
Shenton College is seeking a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs that will support the College in its programs focusing on the teaching and learning of students. The suitable applicants will assist the teachers in delivering planned educational programs, such as ASDAN and encourage a supportive and inclusive learning environment. They will be an honest and diligent individual who cares for people and is prepared to work alongside students to help them achieve in their learning during their time at the College. Relevant Education Assistant qualifications would be an advantage.
Shenton College is a co-educational school with a commitment to develop the 'whole child' and to empower students to be independent and confident learners. Our success is built on solid foundations and on the skills of our outstanding staff. The direction of the College is enunciated in our Shenton 2020 Vision Statement: We are a boldly ambitious school at the forefront of education in Australia, delivering the highest quality to our community. We embrace intellectual independence, creativity and curiosity and a sense of responsibility towards others – enabling us to lead lives of agency, contribution and fulfilment.
At Shenton College, we strive to ignite curiosity and foster a lifelong love of learning. Our unique approach focuses on delivering an educational experience that’s about much more than marks – we aim to help each of our students develop their dreams and achieve their goals.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Shenton College can be found by visiting www.shenton.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Susan McIntosh, Business Support Officer by telephoning (08) 9366 9100 or emailing Susan.McIntosh@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two-three (2-3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check. and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 1 April 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.