Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS621464
Broome Primary School is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – AUSLAN for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2021.
The suitable applicants will perform sign language interpreting and teacher directed tutoring, according to the needs of the students. They will provide support to the classroom; school and community to ensure high quality learning programs are provided in an inclusive learning environment. The successful applicant will be flexible and will be able to work collaboratively with a team of teachers and other education assistants.
Broome is located on the shores of Roebuck Bay in the Kimberley region of Australia. It is 2200 kms away from Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. Broome has an interesting history based around the exploits of the men and women who developed the pearling industry in the 1880s. This history has created a population that is a melting pot of Asian, European and Indigenous cultures. Broome is rich in Aboriginal culture and is the traditional home of the Djugun Yawuru people.
Students at Broome PS and their backgrounds reflect the traditional, historical and multicultural aspects of the Broome community as well as the growth associated with activities such as agriculture, tourism, the provision of services and small business. The school still has the original Broome school building built in 1901 in the centre of its grounds.
Broome PS has an enrolment of approximately 400 students from Kindergarten to Year 6. Students who attend Broome Primary generally live in the older part of Broome. Many of the staff, including our Aboriginal and Islander Education Officers, are experienced educators who have worked in the Kimberley region for a number of years.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Well-developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with Deaf or Hard of Hearing students, liaise with parents, teachers and community members and where necessary assist teachers in understanding students.
- Well-developed organisational skills, including the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relevant to deaf or hard of hearing students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Broome Primary School can be found by visiting www.broomeps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Jared Lawson, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Broome, by telephoning (08) 9192 1352 or emailing Jared.Lawson@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages, outlining how your experiences and skills match the requirements of the position.
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Hold a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Auslan Interpreting (Paraprofessional/Professional) and/or NAATI Accreditation or have considerable proven experience as an Interpreter;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 March 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.