Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS621458
Interested in enabling school communities to educate students with high support needs?
Broome Primary School is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2021.
Suitable applicants will be required to work under teacher direction in a diverse role. They will require initiative to provide learning opportunities that develop or complement a student's learning needs using explicit teaching techniques. Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents is highly desirable. As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you would also provide support to ensure the learning environment is inclusive and relevant with the health and safety of students being a high priority.
Additionally, suitable applicants will be responsible, creative, positive, flexible, willing to collaborate and work in a team.
Broome PS is a multicultural school it is therefore imperative that you be people focused, communicate well and know when and how to be sensitive to people's needs and cultures. You will possess a welcoming, warm friendly nature, be highly organised with the ability to work independently and multi-task.
Broome is located on the shores of Roebuck Bay in the Kimberley region of Australia. It is 2200kms away from Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. Broome has an interesting history based around the exploits of the men and women who developed the pearling industry in the 1880s.
Students at Broome PS and their backgrounds reflect the traditional, historical and multicultural aspects of the Broome community as well as the growth associated with activities such as agriculture, tourism, the provision of services and small business. The school still has the original Broome school building built in 1901 in the centre of its grounds.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Broome Primary School can be found by visiting www.broomeps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Jared Lawson, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Broome, by telephoning (08) 9192 1352 or emailing Jared.Lawson@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages, outlining how your experiences and skills match the requirements of the position.
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 March 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.