Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS622122
Castlereagh School a purpose built education support school located in the southern Perth suburb of Willetton, is seeking to establish a pool of highly committed and dedicated Education Assistants, Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full time and part time vacancies that may arise during the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2021. Appointments can be made at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2021.
Castlereagh School motivates children and young adults aged four to 18 in a vibrant, nurturing, educational environment. Dedicated staff teaches a range of quality programs which are specialised, individualised and specifically tailored to each student's individual needs and abilities. Teachers and Education Assistants are highly trained and competent to design, implement and evaluate programs for students with intellectual disability, sensory impairment, physical disabilities, challenging behaviour and Autism Spectrum Disorder. All students have complex communication needs and are provided with a well-balanced educational experience with a Literacy and Communication focus. Classrooms have a high ratio of staff to students, and classroom numbers are kept small to ensure that each child is given every opportunity to succeed.
Suitable applicants will work in an environment committed to whole school approaches; self-reflection and continuous self-improvement; working in teams to further learning of students and staff; developing relationships with students and their parents; and high expectations for all students. In addition to this, suitable applicants will also be committed to putting students first in their decision-making and undertaking the hard work that is inherent in delivering a motivating and quality educational program.
Suitable applicants will ideally be able to demonstrate the ability to deliver planned education programs and contribute in the evaluation process for special education. It is also highly desirable for suitable applicants to possess good written and oral communication skills and be competent in the use of information technology (IT) which will help assist teachers and therapists when dealing with students.
Experience with Team Teach, Manutention, Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), PODD communication books, Comprehensive Literacy, ASDAN and a Cert IV in Education Support is highly advantageous. Applicants with AUSTSWIM qualifications wishing to support our swimming and hydrotherapy program are encouraged to apply.
We are seeking applicants who will be a positive team member and who will enjoy working in a collaborative team environment. Suitable applicants will benefit from our fun, supportive and inclusive working environment where there are good opportunities available for professional learning.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Castlereagh School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information
Please contact Ashleigh Scorer, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9266 6100 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 28 February 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.