CLOSING DATE: Friday, 6 March 2020 at 11:45PM WST
Who we are
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development’s (DPIRD) purpose is to create enduring prosperity for all Western Australians. Our department ensures that primary industries and regions are key contributors to the Government’s agenda for economic growth and diversification, job creation, strong communities and better places.
We work collaboratively across government, industry and community to advance three goals: Protect, Grow, Innovate. For more information about the Department, please visit our website.
We are seeking to establish a pool of suitably qualified applicants for the role of Senior Policy Officer. The pool will be valid for a period of twelve (12) months following finalisation of the process and may be used to fill permanent and fixed term, full time and part time opportunities that may arise in this period. Please note, being appointed to the pool does not guarantee you placement to a position.
Senior Policy Officers will be responsible for providing aquatic animal health policy and technical advice to support the delivery of successful aquatic animal health outcomes for Western Australia and deliver strategic animal health objectives.
As a team member of the Department’s Animal Biosecurity and Welfare Branch, successful candidates will be involved in the review, development, implementation and evaluation of aquatic animal health policy and legislation that supports State and national aquatic animal health status, and supports access to interstate and international markets for Western Australia’s aquaculture and fisheries industries.
Successful candidates will provide policy and technical advice in areas such as aquatic animal disease surveillance, disease risks associated with aquatic animal movements, aquaculture enterprise biosecurity and aquatic emergency animal disease preparedness. This will involve working collaboratively in a team and across government, the aquaculture and fisheries sectors and other aquatic animal health stakeholders.
Specialised technical knowledge in the areas of aquatic animal health and biosecurity will be an advantage. Please refer to the Job Description Form attached for full position details.
Eligibility / Other Conditions
Possession of, or progression towards a relevant tertiary qualification is desirable.
This Pool will be used to fill vacant positions located in South Perth. Other locations such as Bunbury, Albany or within the Perth Metropolitan Area may be considered.
Please note, any successful candidate, including current employees of the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, will be offered employment subject to the award and agreement conditions that apply to the advertised role as outlined in the attached JDF/s. By accepting an offer of appointment, the successful applicant accepts the conditions and entitlements under the specified award and agreement.
Further Job Related Information
To discuss this role or for specific enquiries please contact Dr Katie Webb, Technical Area Manager, on (08) 9780 6255 (during business hours).
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit:
- A current comprehensive CV, including details of two (2) referees; and
- A covering letter/statement that demonstrates how your skills, knowledge and experience relate to the following Work Related Requirements, as detailed on the Job Description Form and in the context of the job specific details in this advertisement in no more than three (3) pages:
- Work Related Requirement 1 - Role Specific: Demonstrated policy support and advice, including policy formulation, implementation, review and evaluation;
- Work Related Requirement 2 – Build effective relationships: Well-developed written and verbal communication skills with the ability to deliver complex documents and reports in an effective and timely manner;
- Work Related Requirement 3 - Challenge for innovation: Well-developed analytical and problems solving skills, including a demonstrated ability to develop innovative solutions to complex problems in order to meet organisational objectives;
- Work Related Requirement 4 – Think strategically: Well-developed analytical and problem solving abilities;
- Work Related Requirement 5 – Deliver in a changing environment: Well-developed planning and organisational skills including the ability to prioritise tasks and delivery taking into account competing deadlines;
- Work Related Requirement 6 - Lead and empower others: Proven ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and contributes to the achievement of the team goals.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The values and business needs of our Department may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants are required to apply on line by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button at the top/bottom of the screen. Applicants must have a current, valid email address in order to apply online and this email address will be used for communication with applicants. Further information is available in the attached Applicant Information Kit.
Equity and Diversity
DPIRD is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and strongly encourage people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our agency. The Department also promotes staff health and wellbeing, through the provision of flexible work provisions and a wellbeing and support program.
If you are having trouble downloading the attachments or lodging your application online, please contact (08) 6552 1943 (during business hours) and quote the Reference number.
Please ensure you have plenty of time to submit your application to allow for unanticipated problems, as late and proforma applications will not be accepted. (Please note: Online lodgement is system generated. Any submissions on or after 11:45pm will not be accepted)
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has a four day breach claim period. For more information, please see the Public Sector Commission Website