Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS616133
This is a nine (9) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 2,2020
John Forrest Secondary College (JFSC) is seeking an experienced and dynamic Student Support Officer to join their friendly Student Services department.
As a Student Support Officer will be required to work closely with staff, students and families across the college community in providing information and assistance that contribute to the promotion of student welfare. The Student Support Officer at JFSC will be an important member of the student services team who provides support in a range of settings. They will be required to implement a range of interventions, programs and initiatives that promote improved outcomes for students. This may be mentoring, counselling, assisting in restoring attendance, assessing levels of risk, inter-agency linkage and case management. You will be required to maintain comprehensive records and adopt a collaborative and consultative approach at all times. The successful applicant will need highly developed interpersonal skills and work well as part of a team.
JFSC offers an award winning, vibrant and dynamic learning experience for students. Celebrating fifty years of excellence in education in 2012, the College continues to build opportunity for personal development and academic achievement toward university entry, further education, traineeships, apprenticeships and workplace training. Investment in improved facilities, information technology and resources, together with quality teaching, have fostered a culture of achievement and success with recent acknowledgement of student achievement and quality programs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships.
- effective planning and organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing prioritises within timelines.
- good research, conceptual and analytical skills, including the ability to identify problems and provide solutions.
- skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of students experiencing difficulties.
- knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations and services.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about JFSC can be found by visiting www.johnforrest.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information
Please contact Karen Kirk, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning 9473 4016 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 27 February 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.