Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS621172
Are you passionate about helping students reach their full potential?
Holland Street School is seeking to establish a pool of enthusiastic and dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2021.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. They will also assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. When required, they will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive and inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. You need to be organised and use your initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and well-being of students and maintenance of the learning environment. Experience in an Ed Support environment and/or working with students with challenging behaviours is highly desirable.
Holland Street School is a public school operating since 1960. We specialise in the delivery of educational programs designed to improve outcomes for students with a diagnosed intellectual disability. Centrally located in Geraldton, we enrol student residing in Geraldton and surrounding regions. We believe that every student has the capacity to learn. Our programmes reflect the best evidence based practice and the most individualised approach to student learning.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Holland Street School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Kristy McGregor, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Geraldton, by telephoning (08) 9921 2342 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 27 February 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.