Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS621906
North Fremantle Primary School is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2021.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will display a positive and enthusiastic attitude. Suitable applicants will be able to apply techniques, skills and knowledge and relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, on the job learning or through relevant educational qualifications.
The Education Assistant – Special Needs will need to have strong behaviour management skills particularly around challenging behaviour. An understanding of supporting students to self-regulate and social skill development would be advantageous
North Fremantle Primary School is customer focused with strong ties between the school and local community. As a staff member at North Fremantle Primary you are embraced as a member of the local community becoming engaged in a world far beyond the school gate. We are a "small school with big ideas" and pride ourselves on our innovative approach to education. We are committed to a holistic and inclusive environment; where all children are nurtured to become confident lifelong learners by developing their academic, social, physical and creative potential. Staff at North Fremantle PS are committed and work together to support all students across the school.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- The ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents. 6. Demonstrated ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about North Fremantle Primary School can be found by visiting https://www.northfremantleps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Katharine Elphinstone, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9432 1300 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate III in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 19 February 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.