Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS620398
We are seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year.
We are looking for suitable applicants who have the understanding of working with students with disability and challenging behaviours and Leading Workplace Learning. Sound knowledge and understanding of Occupational Safety and Health and Literacy and Numeracy delivery experience would be highly advantageous.
The role of the Education Assistant - Special Needs can be expected to perform tasks within the following range: provides support and advice to schools and teachers on the management program of students at risk under supervision of the Psychologist in Charge or relevant professional. Designs and implements behaviour management plans in consultation with teachers, parents and Psychologist in Charge or relevant professional and maintain records regarding implementation of behaviour management plans in order to assess how educational programs fit in with the overall educational outcomes of the student.
Cyril Jackson Education Support Centre provides educational opportunities for young adults with intellectual, physical, psychological and social disabilities. Catering for students in Years 10 to 13, our senior campus support centre will help your child reach their full potential, giving them the skills to be positive and responsible members of society.
Our Career Education, Community Access and Academic programs are specifically tailored to your child's individual needs, giving them the necessary skills to achieve inclusion and independence in the workforce and community.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Cyril Jackson Senior Campus Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.cyriljacksonesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information
Please contact Becc Dalgleish Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 9413 4850 or emailing Rebecca.Dalgleish@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and’
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 20 February 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.