Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS621373
Are you passionate about helping students reach their full potential?
Kingston Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of enthusiastic and dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2021.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. They will also assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. When required, they will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive and inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. You need to be organised and use your initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and well-being of students and maintenance of the learning environment. Experience in an Ed Support environment and/or working with students with challenging behaviours is highly desirable.
Kingston PS has a strong whole-school approach to literacy, numeracy and the Virtues Project which provides students with empowering strategies that inspire the practice of virtues in everyday life. The key virtues that underpin the school's ethos are Care, Courage, Respect and Excellence.
We are honoured to be an Independent Public School catering to our 750 Kindergarten to Year 6 students. Our school is situated 180 km south of Perth in Australind. The teaching staff bring enthusiasm, commitment and professionalism to the whole school approaches that are embedded in the school and form an exemplary team who work to a common vision. Our vision is to be an innovative exemplar of professional education practice and learning for teachers, and to create optimum developmental opportunities for our students.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- The ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- The ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about can be found by visiting Kingston Primary School www.kingstonprimary.wa.edu.au/or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Christine Read, Business Manager, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Australind, by telephoning (08) 9797 5000 or emailing Christine.Read@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 28 February 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.