Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS618558
Newton Moore Senior High School is seeking to establish a pool of Aboriginal and Islander Education Officers for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2021.
Newton Moore Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to engage energetic and dedicated individuals to join the school in the role of Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO).
Newton Moore Senior High School strives to make our school a friendly, welcoming and culturally inclusive place to be. The role of the AIEO is to improve the educational outcomes of Aboriginal students by ensuring they receive the support they need to feel welcome, respected, understood and cared for and giving them the skills to achieve to the best of their abilities.
AEIOs make an important contribution to student progress and achievement through the support of school management, teaching practice and the maintenance of positive relationships with students, parents and the community at Newton Moore SHS. AIEOs are an essential part of our school and an advisor for teaching and administration staff. AIEOs facilitate school and family connections and work closely with students to support student wellbeing, attendance and engagement.
Newton Moore SHS provides enrichment through the following programs: Moore Academy of Sport and Health (MASH), Follow the Dream, Clontarf Football Academy, Girls Academy and CALM Cadets.
Suitable applicants will be highly motivated; have a good work ethic, have well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Newton Moore SHS is an Independent Public School (IPS) located in Bunbury, a coastal city 175kms south of Perth. The school delivers two DOE Approved Specialist Academic Programs: Science Horizons and Engineering Specialist and is a Teacher Development School (TDS) for secondary Science.
We are a Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) school with a strong focus on building staff capability through CMS and ISE training.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Newton Moore Senior High School can be found by visiting https://www.newtonmooreshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online or by downloading the relevant attachment below.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Denise Harrison, Human Resource Officer for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in South Bunbury, by telephoning 9722 2463 or emailing Denise.Harrison2@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
An applicant may provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent through the completion of a Verification of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage form, attached. (Applicants currently employed as AIEOs are excluded.)
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday 11 March 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.