Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS610206
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2020
Southern River College (SRC) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their friendly team in the Specialised Autism Learning Program (SALP).
The successful applicant will ideally have the ability and skills in the following generic areas and would be of great benefit to have had experience in applying these to students with Autism. For instance, demonstrated experience in supporting students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, experience in supporting secondary students and being able to use or learn Team Teach conflict resolution strategies will be highly regarded.
Under direction of the SALP teacher the successful applicant would be required to work with students 1 on 1 and in small groups in the SALP and in general classrooms. Suitable applicants will also assist students to learn and practice self-regulation and self-management understanding and strategies across the school environment. This role also involves assisting students to learn and practice social thinking across the school environment, support students to recognise and understand their own sensory profile and management strategies, participating in general resource preparation, data collection and administration duties, participating in the development and implementation of Individual Behaviour Management Plans, maintain learner support profiles and participate in case management meetings as required. Successful applicants will also be able to assist in the development and use of a range of visual support strategies to assist students in their learning e.g. graphic organisers, visual timetables, task analysis, visual prompts and support students to become independent and self-directed learners.
Our vision for SRC is to develop confident and active global citizens by creating opportunities for all students Years 7 to 12 as they progress through their educational pathways. Our College promotes academic excellence and vocational aspirations for our students, celebrates their diversity and fosters their ambitions. The College has an array programs and initiatives, making a real difference to many students and their future aspirations.
Along with a general education program our educational programs include Academic Enrichment, Vocational Education Program and STEM Enrichment Programs. Our RIVER Values are: Relationships, Identity, Virtues, Excellence and Respect.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Southern River College can be found by visiting www.southernrivercollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Karina Surmon, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9495 3200 or 0472 789 003 or emailing Karina.Surmon@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 13 February 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.