Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/DP610218
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2020 with possible twelve (12) months extension and/or permanency
Atwell College is seeking an innovative and proactive school leader to fill the role of Deputy Principal. This position has both a strategic and operational aspect. The successful applicant will have highly developed interpersonal and organisational skills which will enable them to work collaboratively with our experienced Executive Leadership Team to positively represent the college as we continue to build our reputation as a school of choice in our community.
The successful applicant will lead the Quality Teaching portfolio in accordance with the strategies outlined in our business plan. The major focus is to develop teacher effectiveness with the resulting improvement in student achievement. The application of highly developed planning, problem solving and interpersonal skills will be required to lead and develop a variety of professional development programs and processes to enable highly effective teaching to occur in every classroom every day.
All Deputy Principals at Atwell College have line management responsibilities to a number of level 3 leaders in the college. The ability to support and develop level 3 leadership staff and teaching staff through the application of coaching and mentoring skills and regular professional dialogue would be highly desirable qualities for this role and critical to the successful implementation of initiatives and strategies.
The successful applicant will also be responsible for managing the 2020 timetable and the preparation of the 2021 timetable, as well as the associated school staffing planning and teacher recruitment requirements. A proven ability to develop and manage human resources effectively and efficiently will be highly desirable. The oversight of associated human resource functions including the coordination of relief teaching staff, payroll validation, management of leave, and mandatory reporting requirements with the support of school officers is also an aspect of this role.
Our college is an emerging lead school in STEM education and STEM initiatives. Experience and knowledge in leading the development of STEM initiatives in schools would also be desirable.
Whilst the roles of the executive team are defined, the individual needs to be able to demonstrate an ability to be flexible, communicative and collaborative in the manner in which they work towards the desired goals of the College. As with modern working contexts, the roles of the executive staff are adjusted to meet the operational requirements of the college and to meet the strategic needs of the business plan.
Atwell College was established in 2008 and caters for students in Years 7 to 12. It is an Independent Public School. The College campus is a contemporary inclusive site with state-of-the-art buildings and modern specialist facilities. Education Support Programs and facilities enable the full-spectrum of opportunities for students with disabilities. Atwell College is a vibrant community where lasting and collaborative partnerships are being developed.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Atwell College can be found by visiting www.atwellcollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Peter Rudrum, Principal, by telephoning (08) 6174 2200 or emailing Peter.Rudrum@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 9 December 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.