Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS521232
Denmark Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year.
Suitable applicants will have a passion for working with students with special educational needs and a working knowledge of students with Autism and Downs Syndrome is highly desirable. You will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned education programs and in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment. You will work under general supervision or autonomously and will be required to contribute advice and expertise, collaborating with school community members to support student achievement. You will be working across a range of students; therefore, the ability to be flexible will be an advantage. A willingness to contribute and maintain a team environment will be highly regarded.
Denmark PS encourages the support, engagement and feedback of our local community. We have active parent/carer participation and an experienced and committed staff. Students at our school are often referred to in the local community as responsible, creative, sporting, inclusive and welcoming. We cater for students from Kindergarten to Year 6 and currently have an enrolment of approximately 435 students.
Denmark is a small town and boasts being near both the forests and the sea. The beauty of the town has a positive impact on the school. The school itself is fortunate to be on a 6-hectare site with three ovals and lush green gardens that surround the main school buildings.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Denmark Primary School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Damian Luscombe, Principal for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Denmark, by telephoning (08) 9848 4700 or emailing Damian.Luscombe@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A maximum two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 11 December 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.