Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS604010
Join our collaborative team in creating an extraordinary, inclusive learning environment
Bob Hawke College is seeking to establish a pool of enthusiastic and dedicated Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within 2020.
The suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, physiotherapy and medical plans. They will assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies with individual students or groups. As required, they will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
The suitable applicants will support effective communication between the teacher or therapist and student. In collaboration with the teacher, they will provide feedback about student progress with parents and caregivers. Other tasks required may include assembling resources and administrative documents; managing classroom resources or the storerooms by maintaining and updating inventory lists, monitoring stock levels and requirements, and submitting requisitions to the teacher for approval. They will also be expected to ensure the safe and hygienic storage and handling of foodstuffs and food preparation utensils.
All staff employed at Bob Hawke College will have the following attributes: They will be able to demonstrate care; be curious about learning and about learners; be invested in the College and the community; have a sense of humour; and be reflective of themselves and their practice.
Bob Hawke College will be a central hub of the Subiaco community with its innovative design and shared facilities. Our college will deliver academic excellence in a learning environment that sets high standards in quality care for students. We aim to create experiences where students learn both about the world around them, and of themselves. We seek to develop local, national and international partnerships, creating meaningful relationships with those around us and improved learning opportunities for our students. We are part of the fabric of Subiaco, with a commitment to excellence and equity.
The College is part of the exciting transformation of the area around Subiaco Oval which will become a new education, leisure and residential destination close to Perth's CBD.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- The ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- The ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Bob Hawke College please visit www.education.wa.edu.au/bob-hawke-college or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Nicole Cooper, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 0419 041 449 or emailing Nicole.Cooper@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of one (1) page outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 22 November 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.