Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS605605
Are you able to support Deaf children in developing their language, social and emotional skills?
Mosman Park School for Deaf Children is seeking to establish a pool of hardworking and dedicated Education Assistants – AUSLAN for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year.
As an Education Assistant – AUSLAN, you will provide the highest level of access to the curriculum for deaf students with sign language interpreting and teacher directed tutoring, according to the needs of the students. Suitable applicants will be flexible and able to work collaboratively with a team of teachers and education support staff to support students, the school and community to ensure high quality bilingual learning programs are provided in an inclusive learning environment. Working closely in a positive, committed team environment with children in individual and small group situations, you will provide positive and engaging opportunities for children to find success and reach their potential.
Suitable applicants will have ability to communicate confidently and effectively in both English and AUSLAN, including signing, voicing, and interpreting in both directions. You will have the ability to show initiative in completing tasks, combined with strong interpersonal skills to both build relationships with students and staff and engage students. Preferably, you will have experience working with special needs children and managing behaviour in a positive way.
Auslan qualifications will be preferred
Mosman Park School for Deaf Children, located in the heart of Mosman Park in the western coastal suburbs, is a dynamic school which caters for the specific needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children. Our team of experts include Teachers of the Deaf, AUSLAN Interpreters, Deaf Role Models, Audiologists, School Psychologists and more. Together they use their expertise to develop a program which addresses the explicit learning needs of each individual student.
Our students work in small classes every morning for intensive language and mathematics development. Sharing the campus of Mosman Park Primary School, the two schools combine in the afternoons to create a unique bilingual/bicultural learning environment. Students from both schools, deaf and hearing, learn AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language) which allows for real inclusivity throughout the school day.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Well developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with Deaf or Hard of Hearing students, liaise with parents, teachers and community members and where necessary assist teachers in understanding students.
- Well developed organisational skills, including the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relevant to deaf or hard of hearing students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Mosman Park School For Deaf Children can be found by visiting Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Monique Smith, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9384 2088 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Auslan Interpreting (Paraprofessional/Professional) and/or NAATI Accreditation or have considerable proven experience as an Interpreter;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 December 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.