Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS602598
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2019
Are you seeking a challenging, exciting and professionally satisfying career?
Wiluna Remote Community School (RCS) are seeking an enthusiastic and friendly Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer to join their team.
The successful applicant will assist teachers in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. The successful applicant will have the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and act as a liaison between the community and the school. You will support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, through mentoring and pastoral care. You will provide instruction on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture to students, in consultation with teachers. An understanding of the cultural and family group connections in the Wyndham area is highly desirable. To be successful in this role you will ideally have experience dealing with high risk behaviours and disengaged students. practise.
Wiluna is a culturally special and historically unique place, surrounded by desert, waterways and cultural areas. We are situated 1000km north east of Perth and 550 km north of Kalgoorlie. The Wiluna Remote Community School (RCS) caters for four year olds to Year 12 and has a population of between 85 and 115 students.
Our school staff are committed to connecting learning to the Martu Calendar, our local curriculum. The Calendar was created by local families over the last few years, and ensures that learning is connected to country and culture.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Wiluna Remote Community School can be found by visiting or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Susan Trigwell, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Wiluna, by telephoning (08) 9981 7013 or emailing Principal.Wiluna.RCS@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
An applicant may provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander decent through the completion of a Verification of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage form, attached. (Applicants currently employed as AIEOs are excluded.)
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 15 November 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.