Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS600063
This is a permanent part-time (0.18FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2020
Are you looking for a rewarding place to work?
Karratha Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a dedicated and committed Laboratory Technician to join their friendly team.
The role of the Laboratory Technician is to provide support and advice to the Head of Learning Area and teaching staff. You will prepare chemicals, equipment and materials, designs and constructs teaching aids and collects and cares for living organisms for study purposes in compliance with chemical, physical and biological laboratory practices and legislative requirements. In addition, you will manage laboratory stocks, including ordering of supplies and equipment, liaison with suppliers and completion of annual stock-takes, complying with Departmental guidelines.
Karratha SHS has a population of 1000 students and is situated on a state of the art dynamic and revolutionary campus which was completed in 2013. Students at Karratha SHS come from all contributory primary schools as well as those from across Australia. Many families move to Karratha and surrounding townships such as Dampier, Point Samson, Roebourne and Wickham to work in the diverse mining and retail industries in the region.
The school motto “Towards Tomorrow” ensures that the school’s curriculum focuses on preparing all students for the future. The motto embraces the aim of nurturing responsible and caring individuals in order that they are fully prepared for success in a rapidly changing world.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Karratha Senior High School can be found by visiting www.karrathashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Tracey Bell, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Karratha, by telephoning (08) 9187 8000 or emailing Tracey.Bell@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 18 November 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.