Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS605979
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2020
Kalumburu Remote Community School (RCS) are looking for a dedicated individual to join their team in the role of Education Assistant – Special Needs.
The successful applicant will work under general supervision and guidance, performing under limited direction and involve judgment in achieving clearly defined outcomes as determined by the teacher. They will be able to apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, on the job learning, or relevant qualification. The successful applicant will ideally have experience across a range of literacy and numeracy approaches, combined with a flexible and friendly approach with good interpersonal skills.
Kalumburu - meaning 'Path By the River or River Crossing' is the most northerly Aboriginal Community in Western Australia and is situated on the banks of the King Edward River beside a long, deep billabong at the upriver end of Malindjar Gorge. The nearest townships to Kalumburu are Kununurra (565 km S.E.), Wyndham (560 km S.E.) and Derby (650 km W). Access to the region is available by sea, air from Kununurra, Wyndham and Derby/Broome and by unsealed road depending on seasonal conditions.
The Community of Kalumburu currently numbers around 600 people it is serviced by the school, community clinic, community store including takeaway, administration office providing postal, banking and Centrelink services. Kalumburu RCS has a high percentage of Aboriginal students and the targets are Literacy and Numeracy. The school is also focussing on increasing the level of community participation and involvement in the school.
Applicants please take note that there is no public housing available in the community
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kalumburu RCS can be found by visiting Schools Online
When applying for this position please consider the extreme remote location of Kalumburu Community and that there is no public housing available.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Vina Goulden, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kalumburu, by telephoning (08) 9168 4802 or emailing Vina.Goulden@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 15 November 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.